Honestly, I never heard about tomato pie until I lived in the south. Even then, for some reason, it just held no appeal for me…oh boy,was I blind. Finally, after several “suggestions” from Pinterest, I decided to give it a go. Pleasant surprise…despite the simplistic nature of the ingredients, it truly tasted…well, just like a fresh late summer day. Let me give you the recipe!
The usual cast of characters…although I have experimented with some guest ingredients like bacon and corn…
- Blind baked pie shell. I typically have several homemade pie crusts in the freezer, but store bought is fine…no judgment
- 1/2 to 1 cup fresh chopped basil, extra points if you grow your own
- 5-6 freshly chopped tomatoes with the juice squeezed out….I save and freeze the juice to use in stocks and broths
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise…I use full fat, I assume reduced fat would work, if you try it let me know.
- 2 cups chopped and shredded cheese…I use whatever I have on hand, for this pie I used cubed mozzarella and shredded cheddar.
- A few dashes of hot sauce and a sprinkling of sea salt
Easy peasy steps
- Placed juiced tomatoes in blind baked crust
- Sprinkle chopped basil and sea salt on juiced tomatoes
- Mix mayonnaise, cheese and hot sauce together until it is the consistency of a “slushy snowball” and spread on chopped basil…gently spread!
- Bake 30-40 minutes in a 350 degree oven…I don’t cover it.
- Remove, cool and enjoy!
Of course, a beautiful Fall afternoon in downtown Annapolis is pretty nice as well.
Inspire me Monday. Inspire me Tuesday . Metamorphosis. You’re the Star. Tuesday with a twist. Wonderful Wednesday. Keep in touch. Beautifully made. Party in your pjs. Wednesday blog hop. Your whim. Share your style. Home and garden. Waste not. Grandma’s House DIY. Vintage charm.Friendship Friday. Funtastic Friday. Grace at Home Thursday favorites. BFF open house. Morning Cup Of Joe. Home matters.Create bake grow. Snickerdoodle. Happiness is homemade. Silver pennies. Create with joy. Over the Moon Creatively crafty Senior salon. Turn about Tuesday celebrate your story Little cottage Saturday Sparks Farmhouse Friday All About Home Flaunt it Friday Pink Saturday encouraging hearts and home fresh farm Tuesday. Wednesday Centerpiece. Dare to share. Doodle buddies heart and souls simple sunday Sunday stars silverado. The Fabulous Party. Charming homes and gardens homestead blog hop. Traffic jam. What’s for dinner