Honestly, I never heard about tomato pie until I lived in the south. Even then, for some reason, it just held no appeal for me…oh boy,was I blind. Finally, after several “suggestions” from Pinterest, I decided to give it a go. Pleasant surprise…despite the simplistic nature of the ingredients, it truly tasted…well, just like a fresh late summer day. Let me give you the recipe!
1. Blind baked pie shell. I typically have several homemade pie crusts in the freezer, but store bought is fine…no judgment
2. 1/2 to 1 cup fresh chopped basil, extra points if you grow your own
3. 5-6 freshly chopped tomatoes with the juice squeezed out….I save and freeze the juice to use in stocks and broths
5. 1/2 cup mayonnaise…I use full fat, I assume reduced fat would work, if you try it let me know.
6. 2 cups chopped and shredded cheese…I use whatever I have on hand, for this pie I used cubed mozzarella and shredded cheddar.
7. A few dashes of hot sauce and a sprinkling of sea salt
Easy peasy steps
1. Placed juiced tomatoes in blind baked crust
Of course, a beautiful Fall afternoon in downtown Annapolis is pretty nice as well.
Inspire me Monday. Inspire me tTuesday . Metamorphosis. You’re the Star. Tuesday with a twist. Wonderful Wednesday. Keep in touch. Beautifully made. Party in your pjs. Wednesday blog hop. Your whim. Share your style.Waste not. Grandma’s House DIY. Vintage charm. Friendship Friday. Funtastic Friday. Grace at Home.Thursday favorites. BFF open house. Morning Cup Of Joe. Home matters. Create bake grow. Snickerdoodle. Happiness is homemade. Silver pennies. Create with joy. Over the Moon Creatively crafty Senior salon. Turn about Tuesdaycelebrate your story Little cottage Saturday Sparks Farmhouse Friday All About Home Flaunt it Friday Pink Saturday encouraging hearts and home fresh farm Tuesday. Wednesday Centerpiece. Merikas party. Simple homestead. Dare to share. What’s for dinner. Hearth and home party