There they were, in the produce section of a small local grocery…a forgotten love…Rhubarb. That sweet and tangy combination that tastes just like Spring. Quickly I placed them in my cart and hurried home with thoughts of a delicious pie in my head…until busy weekend plans seemed to get in the way. Never fear! No time for a traditional pie crust…grab some nilla wafers, sugar and butter and you have the perfect base for that lovely Rhubarb.
Easy Peasy Nilla Wafer crust
1/3 cup of melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1. Crush wafers in food processor (or if you want to rid yourself of some stress, roll them into bits with a ziplock bag and rolling pin.
2. Add melted butter and sugar to crumbs and mix until moistened.
3. Press into pie plate. I use a metal measuring cup to evenly compress onto bottoms and sides of plate.
4. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees until edges are brown. Cool completely before filling.
The Filling ingredients
1. 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces. *Here is a hint…wash, chop and freeze your rhubarb for at least a day before baking to release excess juice. Thaw in a strainer before use, but do not squeeze*
2. 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3. 1/2 cup granulated sugar
4. 1/4 teaspoon each of the following spice: allspice, cardamom, and ginger
5. 1/2 teaspoon salt
6. 3-4 tablespoons of ground arrowroot or corn starch
7. 1 tablespoon lemon juice
8. 1 large egg
9. Dash of bitters (totally optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Combine rhubarb, sugars, spices, salt, and arrowroot powder, mix thoroughly
3. Add lemon juice, egg and and bitters, stir together.
4. Pour into prepared pie shell
5. Place pie on rimmed baking sheet, place in oven on lowest rack.
6. Bake 30-35 minutes. Remove and cool 2-3 hours
7. Cut and serve…enjoy!
Show and Share. Inspire me Monday. Tuesday at our house. The scoop. Inspire me Tuesday Make it pretty. Art of homemaking. Made by you. Metamorphosis God’s growing garden. . Tuesday with a twist Let’s talk vintage. Wonderful Wednesday. Share it. Brag about it. Wow us. Talk of the town. Moonlight and Mason jars. Share your cup share your style home and garden. Welcome home. Thursday Favorites. Waste not. Coffee and conversation. Friday features. Home sweet home. Feather nest. Friendship Friday. Grace at home. Funtastic Friday. Morning cup of joe. Home matters. Sweet inspiration. Vintage chic. Best of the weekend. Sunday at home. Share it one more time. Snickerdoodle Simple Saturday. Silver pennies. Create with joy. Inspiration Monday. DI&DI. Monday social. Amaze me. Proverbs 31. Smell good Sunday. Make bake create