We have had great luck with our tomatoes this year and as a result have bowls of them on our counter in all their red glory. Now, I love a good salad and cherry tomatoes make the perfect snack, but there is a limit to their deliciousness. I needed a solution fast. So armed with my slow cooker and immersion blender, I created enough tomato sauce to last all winter. The bounty of summer will live on well past Labor Day!
Usual Cast Of Characters.
- Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes
- About 5 cloves of garlic, also from our garden
- ¼ cup red wine. We freeze the last few inches of wine after enjoying a bottle. It works out perfectly.
- 3 tablespoons of white sugar
- About 2 tablespoons of fresh oregano, also from our garden
- Any small pieces of Parmesan cheese close to the rind
- Optional: 3 tablespoons flak seed.
The Steps To Glory
- Quarter and chop as many tomatoes that will fit into your slow cooker with the lid closed, skins included.
- Cook on high for 1-2 hours to soften tomatoes and release their juices.
- Press tomatoes and scoop out hardened skin at the top of the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker to low and add other ingredients.
- Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours pressing tomatoes and removing hardened skin that floats to the top. Mix well.
- After 3-4 hours remove lid and, using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Scoop out any remaining hardened skin but blend soft skins into the sauce,.
- Continue to cook on low with the lid propped open with a spatula handle to reduce sauce about 1 hour.
- Unplug slow cooker and let sauce cool to room temperature.
- Scoop 3 cups (or more) into plastic gallon sized plastic bags. Freeze bags flat for easy storage.
- Enjoy all year long!
A few more days before school starts and soaking in the summer fun.
Metamorphosis Inspire me Monday. Inspire me Tuesday . You’re the Star. Tuesday with a twist. Wonderful Wednesday. Keep in touch. Beautifully made. Wednesday blog hop. Share your style. Grandma’s House DIY. Vintage charm.Friendship Friday. Funtastic Friday. Grace at Home Thursday favorites. BFF open house. Morning Cup Of Joe. Home matters.Create bake grow. Happiness is homemade. Create with joy. Creatively crafty Senior salon. Turn about Tuesday Saturday Sparks Farmhouse Friday All About Home Flaunt it Friday Pink Saturday encouraging hearts and home Wednesday Centerpiece. Dare to share. heart and souls simple sunday silverado. The Fabulous Party. homestead blog hop traffic jam busy Monday. Love your creativity inspiration party share the wealth Karen’s kottage. Crafty creations sunshine Sunday potpourri